Aunt Annie's Pepper Relish
- 18 green and red bell peppers, more green than red
- 15 to 60 jalapeño peppers (it never seems to get too hot)
- 5 medium onions
- 5 good sized firm ripe tomatoes, peeled
- ½ to 1 cup sugar
- salt to taste
- vinegar to cover
Be sure to wear rubber gloves when seeding jalapeños.
- Seed peppers.
- Grind all vegetables through fine or medium plate in food chopper.
- Drain well through colander and put in suitable pot.
- Add enough vinegar to cover, along with sugar and salt.
- Boil until tender. Makes 4 to 5 pints.
I remember the first time I ever ate any of this. I was visiting relatives in Locust Grove, Arkansas, while recuperating from tularemia. Eating dinner at Uncle Henry's and Aunt Annie's, she served some of this relish along with the meal and I thought it was the best I had ever eaten. What I like about it is that it requires no extra spices.