Letona's Chess Pie
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 TBS + 1 tsp white corn meal
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 TBS vinegar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 unbaked 8-inch pastry shell
- Combine first 5 ingredients.
- Stir in eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes.
[Editor's note: I don't remember ever hearing of
chess pie until we moved to Kentucky in the late 1950s. There the
mother of a high school classmate served us chess pie one afternoon,
and I was hooked. It's a simple pie from the "transparent pie" family,
pretty much like a standard pecan pie without the pecans, but when it
comes out right it's absolutely delicious. My mother, who died recently
at age 80, found the recipe in Southern Living magazine around 20 years ago.]